Monday, April 26, 2010

Passion.

The title says it all. It's the cornerstone of any successful career. It's the motivation that fills a resume'. It's the thing that keeps you coming back, even when you get knocked down. It keeps you in school when the stress is too much. It makes you pick up that pen and keep filling out job, internship, scholarship, and grant applications after rejection. It translates into other emotions and characteristics...stubbornness, strength, drive. Passion breeds these traits.

Passion is my motivator. Whatever the source of your passion, you need to hang on to it. Dig your claws in and hang on for dear life.

Passion can be a double-edged sword. Too much passion can lead to things like disappointment, burn-out, exhaustion, or even despair. Unchecked passion can backfire. But without passion, what is the point of doing what you're doing?

I'm almost done with my sophomore year of college. I have a few weeks left to a successful internship. I've had my first freelance video production and post-production job. I've gotten hits from news organizations, communications departments, and head hunters. I've been given offers and ideas. I've even created a Monster profile because it's easier to post my resume' there than explain to people why my resume' isn't posted anywhere.

Take a look at the people around you. You can tell who's found their passions. They're the students who stay up until 4 a.m. working on a project relating to their intended career, and don't mind. (I was once told that I was the happiest all-nighter partner a friend had ever had. We were doing PhotoShop work. Why wouldn't I be happy?)

Think about your goals. Think about where you want to go. Are you happy with what you see? Are you happy, or just content? Don't settle for something that just makes you feel "okay" about what you do. It's never too late to re-evaluate your dreams. I've found mine, now go make sure you've found yours.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kelly,

    Love your post, and couldn't agree more. I'm working on a website to connect post production talent with employers, and right now, that's my passion. I've been reaching out to people individually to get feedback, trying to get this thing off the ground. As you can imagine, I get a very small percentage of responses. But it's my passion for this project, my passion to work for myself, that keeps me going. I hope if you have a spare minute, you'll take the time to check it out, and maybe even register and upload your reel. And I hope if you do, the site brings you closer to your goals, and fulfilling your personal ambitions. Best of luck,

    Tom Fishman

    www.reelpost.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone once told me this description of passion and it has really stuck with me: Your passion is something that you would do for free and sleep in a car to be able to do it. Once you find that passion surround yourself with great people that will help you to excel in attaining the goals you are passionate about, and failure will only be a thing of the past.

    ReplyDelete